Saturday, May 19, 2012

Fiddling around!

I move artwork around in the gallery. Alot. The people that work for me hate it. That same habit used to drive my ex husband crazy, because he would come home from work and try to sit on a couch that was not where it was in the morning.  He cursed at the scrape marks on our wide plank barge wood floors. "Why can't you leave stuff alone?"

Good question. I can't leave stuff alone because I am inspired to change my environment. A painting takes on a whole new life in a new spot - the way light hits it differently from a sunny window or the shadow from a tall lamp.  Once I threatened to paint the tree limb shadows on our living room wall, because it just looked so cool at a certain time in the afternoon, and I wanted to enjoy that image daily.

I get bored easily, so for me it is fun to rearrange stuff.  Furniture. Paintings. It's all the same - a creative outlet and a study in aesthetics.  For those of us that can't get enough of HGTV and shows about design, remodeling, redoing - you understand my need to fiddle with my environment.  I view my gallery as an extension of my home; nothing 'matches' but it works because each piece of art touches me in some way - the color, the line, the emotion - and I think when you really like a piece of art that it doesn't matter if it 'goes' with everything or not - it just works.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you've been blogging elsewhere forever but this is new--thanks for sharing it on FB. As you know I was just in town wandering Canyon Rd. This post connected with my experience in one gallery in particular (to remain nameless). While I liked a lot of what they had, the experience left me flat because so much of the work was just hung all wrong! Too many pieces were out and it was just a jumble. I can't imagine (as you describe in your next post) anyone thinking about where to focus the light on any particular piece. So keep fiddling. :)

    ReplyDelete